Greater Sydney Aeromedical Retrieval & Training Centre
Greater Sydney Area Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (GSA-HEMS) is the largest retrieval service within the broader NSW aeromedical retrieval system. They carry out more than 3,000 missions every year treating some of the state’s sickest patients. Qanstruct were engaged to help provide a custom designed and built facility for NSW Ambulance’s GSA-HEMS.
It was clear from the get go that this project will result in a ground breaking and industry leading centre that will pave the way for the future of Aeromedical Services.
Operated by Toll Helicopters, the standout feature of this new facility is the inclusion of a certified training centre for Australia’s first AW139 Level D Full Flight Motion Simulator, along with facilities for maintenance, crew training and full Helicopter Underwater Escape Training in the custom designed and built pool.
- Other aspects of this project included;
- Flight Line Hangar with bays for three (3) Leonardo AW139 helicopters
- Maintenance Hangar with bays for two (2) Leonardo AW139 helicopters undergoing maintenance or repair complete with one (1) 7.5t overhead gantry crane per bay
- 3.6m deep training pool
- 12m high structure containing the simulator room
- 120 seat tiered auditorium
- 24 single occupancy crew rooms
- Medical treatment rooms
- 200m2 of separable classroom space
- 1,500m2 of flexible office accommodation
- 95m2 gymnasium
- Parking for 150 cars and 6 ambulances
Toll’s Aeromedical Crewing Excellence (ACE) Training Centre is the most advanced training centre internationally, providing totally integrated technical and non-technical training for the first time.